Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Day 17a of Our Whole30

Amanda's Meals

Breakfast: Egg casserole w/ salsa
Lunch: arugula salad w/ shrimp & avocado from Oaxaca Kitchen
Dinner: spaghetti squash w/ meat sauce
Snack: a few slices of pineapple, ~ a Tbsp of almond butter

Joe has gone rogue on the Whole30. He's invented his own Joe version of the Whole30 which includes allowance of white potatoes.  There are a couple reasons for this, and although I would prefer that he explain himself, himself... I know he's not going to log into this blog & do it. So here is my interpretation:

Basically, he's dropped some weight & isn't too happy about it. He thinks he needs more carbs & thinks that potatoes are the thing to do it. He also has other excuses such as "We have potatoes & if we don't eat them they will go bad" "The grocery store only had two sweet potatoes which I didn't purchase (?)" and "I can't follow anybody else's rules for 30 days." 

In addition, he said that according to It Starts With Food, the only reason for excluding white potatoes is because there are simply too many of them in the average American diet.  They do not create any kind of inflammation or other negative effects in the body, so he's folded the pages of the book that say that (to justify his cheating) & has thus created Joe30.  I think it’s a little dumb considering that the point is only to do it for 30 days - not forever... but Joe is a pioneer, and if he wants to Joe30 instead of Whole30, I can't control him. But, I can control this blog. As such, I won't pollute it with such nonsense as white potatoes during the Whole30. His meals for the day are outta here!

I, on the other hand, am still a law-abiding citizen. Joe's sister has also started the Whole30, which is awesome because we're going to a PSU tailgate together in 2 weeks.  Now we won't have to be the only weirdos bringing our own food & not getting tanked.

Before I forget - I learned from a chef we met on our Sunday hike that adding a little bit of pineapple juice to coleslaw makes it taste phenomenal. If you ever want to taste a candy rainbow dipped in magic & fantasticness... you're probably not going to be able to do that. So, you might as well just put some pineapple juice on your coleslaw, cause I think it's the closest you'll get.

In sum, Day 17a marks the death of my Whole30 partnership.  Sure, Joe will still be doing some version of the Whole30, but from here on out I consider myself to be a lone wolf.  I would even change the name of my blog to lonewolf30 if that weren't a stupid blog name.  *Sigh* a lonely Day 18a awaits me...

3 comments:

  1. How dare you slay me in front of our blog viewers. I never said, 'I can't follow anybody else's rules for 30 days.' That's just Amanda paraphrasing the voices she hears in her head. Also, I was looking at the store for butternut and acorn squash after researching the macro/micronutrient content of potatoes and squash. If eating a potato with homemade ghee casts me from the graces of the whole30 blog, then so be it. I am sick of eating sweet potatoes. You better believe I will be Joe30 compliant for the rest of our days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But there is nothing on the internet about how to be Joe30-compliant... How do I know it's actually even 30 days long? Maybe it's just as many days as it takes to compile 30 excuses?

    Since I still have to live with you, I would be surprised if this is your last blog cameo. I won't banish you... as long as you let me keep this flattering photo of you up )

    ReplyDelete
  3. That photo's a pretty accurate depiction of me with the rib cage popping out under a thin layer of skin

    ReplyDelete